Thursday, July 24, 2008

Movie Review: Cool Hand Luke


Paul Newman opens this film cutting off the heads of parking meters. He finds himself jailed and put to work on a road crew where anyone who misbehaves gets tossed in a box to swelter in the heat. When they're not out working, Luke finds ways to entertain his buddies.

He agrees to eat 50 eggs in one sitting. At every turn, Luke finds ways to defy the authority of the cruel jailers. Just pushing far enough to show he's not broken, but not enough to get tossed in the box. When his mama dies they put him in just to keep him from running. After he gets out he escapes.

Look for an outstanding performance from George Kennedy as an illiterate "in charge" prisoner. I cannot say I'm a fan of "prison" movies in general, but these actors made it real for me. I felt the sweat pour down me and my muscles ached just sitting there watching.

Look for the DVD in Bandon and Myrtle Point and VHS copies in Coos Bay and SWOCC

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061512/

Buy the DVD from Amazon
Cool Hand Luke

No comments: