Friday, October 31, 2008

Movie Review: Das Boot


I've stated I cannot do subtitles. I'm told from several reliable sources this film totally rocks in German. So, should you be able to handle the subs (hah always intend the pun!) please start with the German version of this fine film.

During the waning years of World War II, a German submarine crew goes on their mission with a propaganda reporter aboard. The young raw crew struggle through their missions unsure of the reason for continuing the war. They grumble about the wisdom of orders that mean certain death, yet they get on with their job.

I cannot say I enjoy "war movies" terribly much. Yet this film depicted human beings dealing with a messed up bureaucratic war machine. I think everyone can relate to that. Yes, it's a bad idea to question orders in the field. I just wonder what would happen if more thoughtful people asked what the fighting is for?

Grab a copy of this Oscar winning DVD from Myrtle Point. Bandon, Coos Bay and North Bend have VHS copies.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

Pick up the DVD from Amazon:
Das Boot - The Director's Cut

No comments: