Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Movie Review: Pursuit of Happiness


I have mixed feelings about this Will Smith film. Though well acted and interesting story, I come away with some concerns about the values of the real person the story is about. Chris Gardner disappointed me.

He's got a lot of chutzpah, I'll give him that. At the start of the film he's a struggling salesman trying to sell a bone density scanner that isn't quite the money maker he hoped it would be. While walking around downtown San Fransisco he happens upon a guy in a fancy sports car and asks how he got that. The guy is a stock broker and Gardner decides to figure out how to be one too.

I don't have a problem with someone wanting to get ahead, be rich even. It just he ends up in shelters with his son and instead of getting a job he takes an unpaid position interning at a brokerage firm. He sells the last of his bone density machines. to make it through the program.

Is it really the pursuit of happiness or the pursuit of wealth? Happiness is when you sleep in your own bed at night and don't stress as you fall asleep. I give credit that Gardner makes it after all his trials. I just worry that he comes close to abusing his son in the process. I worry that he forgot his primary duty, to have a safe place for his child.

Since this brought up some deep emotion, it makes for a really compelling film. See for yourself. Bandon, Coos Bay, Coquille, Dora and Powers all have copies.

IMDB http://imdb.com/title/tt0454921/
.

No comments: