Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Movie Review: Carlie and the Chocolate Factory


Tim Burton has his moments. Though he took this film into dark arenas that just never seemed to be there in the book. Yes, the children were turned into blueberries and digitized to the size of a Ken doll. That's pretty murky concepts for kid lit. This version just creeped me out.

As Willy Wonka, Johnny Depp smarms to the children, 'Everything in here is eatable. Even the people. That's called cannibalism.' Uh.... (btw that's a vague recollection of the quote, don't shoot me if I got it slightly wrong. ) So I guess this film is about a creepy guy in a creepy candy factory. That just wasn't the impression I got when my fourth grade teacher read it to us. Back then, it thrilled and charmed.

Bandon, Coos Bay, Myrtle Point and North Bend all have copies for those of you determined to see it. Please screen it yourself before subjecting your kids to this weirdness.

IMDB http://imdb.com/title/tt0367594/
.

No comments: