Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Two Watchables


Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman play opposite as mother and daughter in this single mom drama. I'm not sure if my feelings are somewhat clouded by my lack of a relationship with my red headed mother or if the mom really is a selfish bitch. I suspect she is though.

Mom has dreams and daughter better get used to it. Though when they're apart the kid displays separation anxiety. It makes me squirm watching people on screen go through similar to what my life was like. I wish there'd been some value lesson or important reveal about all the crap mom puts her kid through. No such luck.

Library: VHS North Bend, Coquille; DVD North Bend, Myrtle Point.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149691/


This film pairs Susan Sarandon with Goldie Hawn as a pair of aging groupie chicks. The acting and story is much better here. The ladies turn themselves into these characters and make it look easy.

Sarandon's character has moved on into a regular life and left her past behind. She has a husband and kids who know nothing of her raunchy past. Then Hawn shows up to shake up her friend's persona.

There's a sub plot involving a writer who helps Hawn. Geoffrey Rush so convinced me of his role that I didn't realize it was him until I just read it on IMDB.

Library: Coquille, Bandon

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280460/
.

No comments: