Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Combo List

I'd prefer to keep the lists to movies I didn't like, but my list needs clearing off. I'll start with some good and end with watchable.

GOOD

The Buddy Holly Story - Bittersweet story of how the singer gained popularity and met is wife. Gary Busey got a well deserved Oscar nomination.
Library: VHS North Bend, Coos Bay; DVD Bandon

Black Hawk Down - True story of how confusing war gets. While I'm glad I saw this one, I see no need to ever watch something like it again.
Library: VHS Coquille, Powers, Bandon; DVD North Bend, Dora, Coos Bay

Air Force One - Far fetched and TOTALLY entertaining! Harrison Ford plays a kick ass president who fights off terrorists. Glenn Close steals a chunk of the show as the vice president.
Library: VHS Dora, Lakeside, Myrtle Point, North Bend; DVD Myrtle Point

Armageddon - Yet another unbelievable yet entertaining story. Hollyweird seems to have a thing for two movies with the same plot. This and Deep Impact came out the same summer. While both are good movies, this is more fun. Grab some popcorn and watch Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck save the world.
Library: VHS Dora, Coos Bay, North Bend; DVD Coquille, Bandon

WATCHABLE

Always - Richard Dreyfuss flies fire supression aircraft and dies. Audrey Hepburn plays an angel helping him transition into heaven. Holly Hunter gives her usual outstanding performance as Dreyfuss's grieving love interest.
Library: VHS Dora, Coquille; DVD Bandon, North Bend

The Right Stuff - I like this kinda stuff, it's just I think I would prefer a documentary to a biopic. I liked the stuff about John Glenn's wife being imperfect and Chuck Yeager breaking his rib before the first super sonic flight. Some of the politics dulled the film down.
Library: VHS Dora, North Bend, Coos Bay; DVD North Bend, Bandon

Music of the Heart - Meryl Streep plays a demanding music teacher who helps inner city kids play the violin. Of course this film preaches. I do like the message, that kids need boundaries and exposure to culture outside their experiences, it just gets a little heavy handed. Worth a watch though.
Library: VHS Bandon; DVD North Bend

American Pie - I think guys will like this more than I. My old roomie and I saw it years ago and he just laughed and laughed. So much of the idea is teen angst and gettin sex. Yes, it's funny, but it's also very crass. I haven't' seen the sequels, but I'd hazard a guess its' the same juvenile humor.
Library: VHS Coos Bay, North bend; DVD Coos Bay

Carousel - This old musical tells the story of a bad boy hooking up with a good girl. Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae star as the couple at the center of a tragic romance. It's worth a watch, but I think there are tons better plots and songs.
Library: VHS Coos Bay, Powers, North Bend, Myrtle Point; DVD Myrtle Point
.

No comments: