Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mini Series Review: Buffalo Girls


Harlots with a heart of gold and a mannish woman seem to be the limit of Hollywood's view of females in the old west. They didn't even include the farm wife in this telling. Ah well. Still Anjelica Huston poured her heart into the role of Calamity Jane. Melanie Griffith plays her long time madam friend and Reba McEntire at the start of her acting career as Annie Oakley.

Mostly the story follows Calamity Jane from obscure cow poke to London and Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show. I think they could have simplified the plot a bunch. It's convoluted and I'm only guessing it was to justify the title.

I enjoyed it enough to say give it a watch. I just wouldn't have my expectations very high. VHS users look in North Bend, Dora, Lakeside and Bandon. The DVD is also in Bandon and Coquille.

IMDB http://imdb.com/title/tt0111903/
.

No comments: