Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Movie Review: Bus Stop


Marilyn Monroe stars as a lounge singer who catches the eye of a naive young buck in town for the rodeo. He's so excited to find his "true love" he decides he's going to marry the girl after chatting with her for five minutes.

He drags her to the rodeo and wins every competition and tells all the announcers he's going to marry her. She likes the attention, but claims to not like her suitor. He ropes her when she tries to get away from him at the bus stop and forces her onto his bus home.

Nobody seems to care that she's objecting. There's tons to dislike about this film. Rampant sexism, a "who cares" plot and stereotypical characterization. I supose the only reason it's not in my dog category is it held a tiny amount of interest.

I don't know how to feel about how she ends up with the cowboy at the end. She says to spite all his bad acts, he's treated her better than any man before. I know that can be a sad, but realistic state of affairs for some women. I think this movie gave a little strange insight into Marilyn Monroe the person.

The whole candle in the wind aspect. "Never knowing who to cling to, when the rain set in." Though I'm sure that was unintentional on the movie makers part, it made it a tad interesting for me. I'm glad I saw it, and yet have no intention of seeing it again.

Bandon by the Sea has a copy of this DVD. (hah I'm a poet and I know it!)

IMDB http://imdb.com/title/tt0049038/
.

No comments: