Monday, March 24, 2008

Movie Review: Chasing Amy


Ben Affleck and Jason Lee star as a pair of comic artists. Joey Lauren Adams plays a lesbian that Affleck's character falls for.

I suppose I'm bowing to peer pressure to give this a rating at all. IMDB readers give it a 7.5. I guess i'm so totally out of touch with what "others" like maybe I should quit giving reviews. Oh wait, I am not doing it for them. OK, pity party over.

First off, the gal is bisexual if she sleeps with a man too. That's fine but they keep calling her a lesbian. Second, Kevin Smith irreverence often goes too far. (So do many others, but I'm not reviewing their films this moment. ) All I can figure is it pisses him off that women get to choose who they go with and men are at their mercy.

The guys in this film piss on anything beyond them. And everything is beyond them. Lesbians, emotions, affection and care, all elude their simple "dyke hating" ways.

OK, I hated this film. I'm insulted by this film. Maybe this is how "guys are." but I don't want to be around the "typical" guy in Smith's universe.

You don't have to listen to me. Bandon has a copy.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118842/
.

No comments: