Friday, March 21, 2008

Movie Review: Amost Famous


I thought this would be an easy review. I had a lot to say about this film, then I sat down and started thinking about it. I feel lost heh. Ok, my personal rule is.. there is no such thing as writer's block. Just write through it until you get to something good. I'll start with things that really amused me.

Our main character has an older sister who tries to help him break free of their over protective mother. He's a brilliant prodigy who keeps getting advanced in school. When his sister finally breaks free of the binding family ties, she gives him her record collection, telling him "this will set you free."

Though his life could be anything he wants, he decides to start writing about rock and roll and makes a name for himself until he gets a coveted assignment with Rolling Stone. He goes on tour with a band and sends back dispatches on his experiences.

Kate Hudson plays a groupie who follows a band around. She helps our young hero gain insight into the group dynamics. Ms. Hudson is the daughter of Goldie Hawn and remarked on a talk show that her mother's film The Banger Sisters is a lot like her Almost Famous character all grown up. I agree. Consider the films complimentary.

Bandon has a couple copies of this fine film.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181875/
.

No comments: