Saturday, May 10, 2008

Movie Review: Close Encounters of the Third Kind


Regular readers of this blog know that I love science fiction. I've been to many conventions, I read books, I watch tv shows and I have even been in a costume contest all to express my love of the genre.

I want to love this film. I can't. About 30 minutes of it was really interesting. A little at the beginning but most of it is the ending climax of the film. The neato space ships and music thrills the senses.

Richard Dreyfuss does an outstanding job as the manic sculptor Roy. He sacrifices his family for his obsession to build a replica of Devil's Tower where the aliens have scheduled a close encounter. Teri Garr plays his beleaguered wife.

François Truffaut and Melinda Dillon play memorable parts as well. Do look over the bonus features and see the making of the film. Steven Spielberg displays some interesting thoughts of contrition that he's a different person now and wouldn't have written the same film.

Myrtle Point, Coquille and Bandon have DVD copies and check Myrtle Point, Bandon, Dora, Coos Bay, Coquille, Powers and Lakeside for VHS. Look careful at the container. Some are special edition, some are theatrical release. Either is fine really, but for bonus features, pick the DVD.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/
.

No comments: