Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So Many So Little Time


Judd Nelson stars in this Christian inspired mostly clunker about a message from Lucifer himself. Scientists think they've discovered a message from another planet only to find out it's demonic. It turns non-Christians into murderous sinners.

I know Nelson and Louis Gossett Jr. know how to act, I just don't know what they're doing in this film. I guess they needed the money. Nelson plays a part deaf technician who does not get corrupted by the signal. Neither does his Christ loving ex-girlfriend.

It's done by the same people who did the "Left Behind" series which I haven't seen. The plot has a logical flow, but it just falls short of being worth a watch. I also don't like the idea of baggin on science for exploring the universe.

Library: Coquille

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291850/

Amazon: Deceived


With cutesy tag lines like "the devil is in the details," we know this has to suck. Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino spar over lawyering for Satan. Reeves character takes on a job without really understanding all the ramifications.

I dunno, I'm just pretty clear on this idea of good and evil and right and wrong that it's not much of a brain teaser for me. I am not enamored of this topic and therefore I found it dull.

Library: Bandon & Powers

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118971/

Amazon: Devil's Advocate


This film only features a figurative Satan. Harrison Ford plays a kindly Irish cop who unknowingly takes in an Irish terrorist played by Brad Pitt. These filmmakers do nothing to set up why we should believe in or trust the terrorist and believe why the cop trusts him so redily.

Seems to me they just tried to do so much. The cop's partner shoots an unarmed suspect and Ford treats him like a bad cop. He didn't know the guy didn't have the gun anymore. Pitt effects an Irish accent. Why couldn't they find an Irish actor?

I find terrorism flat out stupid. I don't get why these guys are even in the states, and what their plan really entails.

Library: VHS Bandon & Coos Bay; DVD Bandon, Coos Bay & Myrtle Point

Amazon: The Devil's Own

No comments: