Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One Post Two Reviews

Due to my election fever I didn't get online until past midnight. I figured the post date would be Wednesday anyway so I waited till today. Tuesday's film will be watchable with a normal Wednesday soso. Enjoy!


Lovers Burt Lancaster and Yvonne De Carlo get together in a plot to kill her husband and run away together. It was nice seeing De Carlo without her Lily Munster makeup. I knew she was a studio starlet but I hadn't seen her in anything before.

As a plot, the story telegraphed the probable happenings. In thrillers, I prefer unexpected twists and turns.

Maybe you're not as picky as me. Check out the DVD from Bandon. Merely watchable.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041268/

Look at the reviews on Amazon:
Criss Cross (Universal Noir Collection)


OK, I'm only calling this less than stellar because the Coos Bay copy was poorly produced on DVD. There's a really neat version set to modern music put out several years ago. Forgive my poor skills at finding the information on that version through IMDB.

I also lowered my rating because it's very much over visual. Which is pretty much a DUH realization as it's a silent film. But there you have it.

In this future, humanity divided itself into two groups: thinkers and workers. These groups never mix until one man thinker falls for a woman worker. Those who wish to keep the two separate societies create a robot in the likeness of the girl and try and thwart the man's interest in the workers.

Much neato robot and other visual effects make the images really interesting. Though viewing them did leave me a bit confused.

Avoid the Coos Bay copy, but have a look at the North Bend DVD or Bandon's VHS copy.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/

I figured if you wanted to buy a version of this film, Pick a good copy. This Amazon page contains tons of interesting information:
Metropolis (Restored Authorized Edition)

No comments: