Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poltical Flicks Worth Watching

Death in the Bunker:
The True Story of Hitler's Downfall


This documentary on the last days of Hitler inside his bunker made me wonder about him as a human. He and some of his cohorts preferred death over capture. Though
I don't get why the Goebbels children were executed. Well, that's not true, zealots kill themselves and their family if they don't get their way.

Amazon has more information but I couldn't find this film on IMDB. I did find a few of the people who contributed: Traudl Junge (Hitler's Secretary) Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven (author and adjutant to two of Hitler’s generals) Armin D. Lehmann (Hitler’s courier)

Library: Bandon

No IMDB page, so here's the DVD from Amazon:
Death in the Bunker: The True Story of Hitler's Downfall


I'm a huge Tom Hanks fan and I think he's great, but as he's gotten older the roles he's picking just seem not very good. Don't get me wrong, this film has some really good elements that I found interesting, I just didn't see Charlie Wilson. I saw Tom Hanks. Now Julia Roberts, threw herself into her character with gusto. She's almost a caricature of the lady she portrays, but I lost sight of the actress.

A ladies man congressman begins to arrange for the arms and training for the Afghani people to fight the Soviet Union invasion in 1980. He uses his considerable political clout to build consensus and gets the CIA to funnel the equipment. He's urged to do this by socialite Joanne Herring, played by Roberts. Oh and look for Philip Seymour Hoffman's outstanding performance.

I expected more from this film. It should have really shook me up, but all I felt was eh. I think they could have put some pizazz in it. Something that would have moved me in some way. They almost came close when they talked about school funding. That part seemed tacked on just to foreshadow the rise of the Taliban.

Library: Myrtle Point, Coos Bay, Bandon, Dora, Powers and North Bend.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472062/

Check out the DVD from Amazon:
Charlie Wilson's War (Widescreen)


I grew up in Las Vegas around Mormons so this film interested me. Katrina refugees from Louisiana find themselves in the Utah desert. The filmmakers followed two families struggling with the different climate both in physical world and the social aspect.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, comes to town to meet with the survivors and help them integrate into the community. An action for which he was fired from his radio show.
He went on to help some families meet with locals and have barbecues and associate with their new neighbors.

I'm not sure what the documentary was trying to say. On one hand, the men from Louisiana featured had problematic pasts and yet the filmmakers were critical of the Salt Lake City residents for not involving refugees more fully into their society.

I suspect the resistance to helping these newcomers assimilate into their society had more to do with rejecting the unfamiliar than real bigotry. After all, the Mormon Church sends missions to Africa. Though that's mainly my personal feeling. We all need to talk to each other.

Library: Bandon

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0899238/

Amazon also has a better page on this film. Have a look:
Desert Bayou

No comments: