Thursday, January 17, 2008

Movie Review: Her Majesty Mrs. Brown


Billy Connolly normally makes me laugh so hard I almost wet myself. This rule is a dramatic departure from his comic ways. He plays a Scottish servant who pushes Queen Victoria (Judi Dench) into feeling alive again. The advertising from the theater release implied a relationship between Brown and the queen, but that never materialized. Her majesty came to rely on the Scotsman as a companion of thought and reason, rather than a lover.

Dench got an Oscar nomination for her role. While I agree she deserved it, I wish someone had nominated Connolly as well. It's a bit dreary and convoluted toward the end.

Take a walk down historic lane and head out to Bandon for the DVD. North Bend, Lakeside and Coquille all have VHS copies.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119280/

No comments: