Thursday, January 24, 2008

Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain


I had this film sitting in the DVD player when Heath Ledger passed away. I'm shocked that such a young man died so early.

Maybe my expectations were too high. All those Oscar nominations lulled me into thinking this would be a great film. I don't know why, I dislike many winning films. Both Jake Gyllenhaal and Ledger deserved their nods.

It does have a nice look, and the characters were quite believable in their collection of flaws. The scenery makes couch potato me want to go camping. Though I wish it was a bit lighter and brighter.

As men these two characters leave a lot to be desired. It has nothing to do with their gayness. I had issue with them as people. One keeps dropping his children off on his beleaguered wife and the other dreams away his life. I know they could not live as a couple in rural America. Maybe that's the whole point. I just object to feeling sorry for cheaters who profess love. Either they want to be a loving couple in secret or they want to have random sex with strangers.

Lots of libraries have copies. Check out Bandon, Myrtle Point, North Bend and Coquille.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

No comments: