Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Couple of Watchables

My watchables list is rather high so I'm gonna do another post with a two of them.


This documentary rates on the low scale of the watchable spectrum because it lacks meaningful connection among the speakers who show scenes of gays and lesbians on film. It's almost just a clip show without a point.

I have a lesbian friend who watches anything with lesbians in it. I get that. It's a deep desire for the familiar. I tend to think love is love and it matters little to me the orientation and choices adults make with their affections. I'm just big on content and meaning.

I wish they'd explored more the context for the film scenes instead of pointing and laughing how they got this or that past the film board. Nonetheless, it's worth a once through to pick up some interesting cultural exploration.

Head on out to the lovely Bandon Library for this DVD.

IMDB
The Celluloid Closet

Buy it on Amazon
The Celluloid Closet (Special Edition)


This documentary on the other hand rated higher. It tells the true story of a World War II medic who would not use a gun to kill because of his religious beliefs. He desperately wanted to serve his country as a medic and found rejection throughout his training. Ultimately the army relented and he became a hero saving dozens of men.

It's a bit difficult to understand the gentleman as he's older and ill, but the strain is worth it. I admire his convictions and perseverance. Nearly all the libraries have a copy of this DVD including: Bandon, Coos Bay, North Bend, Lakeside,Myrtle Point and Coquille.

IMDB
The Conscientious Objector

Buy it on Amazon
The Conscientious Objector - A True Story of an American Soldier

No comments: