Monday, June 22, 2009

Good Review: Enchanted.


I'm a happy person. I like stories that inspire and tickle my senses. I don't see the world as a scary foreboding place. Some say that *I* live in fantasy land, but I think life is just what you decide it is.

Amy Adams plays an animated fairy princess who finds her prince then his evil queen step mom tosses her into reality. Life goes pretty well for her and she keeps some of her fairy powers, but has to deal with the realities of dodging cars and having no place to stay.

Enter reality prince. Patrick Dempsey has a little girl and a girlfriend he likes and he happens upon our damsel in distress trying to knock on the door of a billboard castle. He brings her to his New York apartment and she ends up charming her way into staying the night.

In the morning she sings to all her woodland creature friends (rats, pigeons and roaches) and they show up to help her clean the apartment. Then she makes a dress for herself out of curtains. It's priceless seeing the pattern holes in the draperies.

Finally her prince shows up into reality. Her chipmunk friend, Pip, told him she fell down there. When Pip joins the prince he can no longer talk. When the evil step queen's assistant shows up he can't get through to the prince.

I enjoy how fantasy bleeds into reality. I didn't think Adams quite pulled off the singing and dancing role with as much style as someone else might have. And none of the songs stuck in my head.

The end sequence looked neat but kinda brought me out of the exuberance of the film. Susan Sarandon materializes into reality as the evil step queen who turns herself into a giant dragon.

You'll find this good film suitable for the whole family. Girls, young and old, will apprecaite it more than men. Look in Bandon, Coos Bay, Coquille and Myrtle Point for the DVD.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461770/

Amazon: Enchanted (Widescreen Edition)

I'm posting this without an edit, so if you see a flaw leave a comment and I'll fix it.

No comments: