Thursday, February 21, 2008

Movie Review: Spanglish


My whole reason for this blog began because I found some really neat movies at the library. Sometimes, like this film, I'm not that thrilled to check out. Low expectations seem to be a game I play with myself. It's amazing how much of a thrill it is when it turns out to be something I really enjoy.

Though Adam Sandler and Téa Leoni get top billing the story is truly stars Paz Vega.
A Mexican woman and her daughter leave their country looking for a better life. She heads north to Los Angeles where she finds work helping a rich Chef. His rude wife treats her own daughter like crap and begins influencing Vega's daughter.

Sandler's understated performance helps the film along, and all I can guess is the director reigned in his exuberant personality. A subtle relationship forms between him and the Mexican woman. Though they never raise to an affair they do seek comfort in trying to counteract his wife's influence on both their daughters.

Murry asked if Cloris Leachman got an Oscar for her performance. He feels she deserved one. She plays the rude wife's mom.

I guess the quality of this story confused the marketing people and they billed it as an Adam Sandler film. Big mistake. Please get this film. Dora, Myrtle Point, North Bend, Powers and Bandon libraries all have copies.

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371246/

Buy it on Amazon
Spanglish

Download it from Amazon
Spanglish.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry Oi, I hated this movie. I felt it pretty much put all the evilness and blame on the wife and nothing on Adam Sandlers character, the husband. This movie annoyed me so much I vow to never watch it again, which for me is a big thing. I did like C.L's character, possibly the only good part of the movie. Good review tho :)

CourageUs said...

It's ok to hate a movie I loved, you don't have to apologize. I can also see that they did blame the wife a lot. I think relationship problems involve both parties and that Sandler's character was way too wimpy. I wouldn't want to watch this film again either. I just liked it and hope others will too.