Monday, August 31, 2009

Good Review: Extreme Alaska


I really enjoyed this enlightening documentary of the modern history of Alaska. It outlined stories about the great earthquake and tsunami of 1964 and the building of the Alaska oil pipeline and truck highway to service the oil fields. I'd never heard of the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands during World War II, but I did know intrepid bush pilots helped open the interior of the territory. Seeing their real stories brought me into thier history in a new way.

I loved the stories of the native people who helped oust the Japanese from Attu and Kiska islands. It goes to show that you want someone to do something, send someone who knows the terrain and how to survive. It saddened me to hear of so many soldiers dying not from battle but from poor weather gear. All the native guides and trappers survived.

I find many times the History Channel shows all tell stories of war. Though this has a little known segment of a war story, most of it talks about regular people's lives or the business of oil production. Pick up the DVD from Dora.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0827169/

Buy this DVD from Amazon: Extreme Alaska DVD Set

No comments: