Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dog Review: Eys Wide Shut


I've said time and again I'm not a fan of Stanley Kubrick and since this was his last film before he died, some people had huge hopes it would be great. I probably wouldn't have seen it at all save for a friend dragged me to the theater.

A man and his wife can't seem to quite get along so he kind of gets sucked into a decadent world of sex and drug experimentation. I think Kubrick missed the boat by pandering to get an R rating. I bet the shock value of making the sex more revealing might have pushed the envelope of convention and moved me.

Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman displayed the last throws of their crumbling marriage on screen. I guess they just couldn't hide their contempt. The surreal plot keeps you guessing, but I walked away disliking Kubrick as much as before.

Love the director? Grab yourself a copy from Bandon and North Bend on DVD and in Coos Bay on VHS. This is an adults only film.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120663/

Buy it from Amazon: Eyes Wide Shut (Unrated Two-Disc Special Edition)

No comments: