Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Soso Tuesday


Big car racing fans might enjoy this. Really it just reminded me of Top Gun only with cars instead of planes. Tom Cruise, Robert Duvall and Nicole Kidman star. Cruise does a good cocky jerk, but I'd rather see something else.

Library: DVD; Myrtle Point. VHS; Dora & North Bend.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099371/

Amazon: Days of Thunder


I'm told the novel explians so much of the back story the film fails to bridge. Pick that up instead. Sandra Bullock plays the daughter with a poor relationship with her mother. Ellen Burstyn stars as mom.

We're flashed back into the past so we can see what happened with the relationship and it involves depression, but it's so vauge and confusing we don't realize that's what's going on. Ashley Judd takes on the mom role in her younger days.

I think the actors did good jobs with the material they had, but either key elements were left on the cutting room floor or they chose to leave out what's really going on.

Library: DVD; Coos Bay, Coquille & Myrtle Point. VHS; Bandon, Coquille, Dora, Lakeside & Powers.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279778/

Amazon: Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Widescreen Edition)


I'm guessing with all these comedy actresses they expected this film to be funny. They were wrong. Richard Gere plays a popular gynecologist who's wife goes nuts. He's trying to make sense of his world and all these women come along trying to get him into bed.

He takes up with Helen Hunt's character golf instructor Bree who doesn't seem to want much from him. His daughter decides to go on with her wedding despite calling upon her former lesbian lover to be her maid of honor.

I searched for a plot within this film, but alas, none arrived. I guess it's just a week in the life of one man. I found no reason to care.

Library: Bandon.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205271/

Amazon: Dr. T & The Women


I've said before I'm not a big fan of Kevin Smith's, but someone said this was a good one of his. They were so wrong. The story tries to be sweet so I gave it a higher than dog rating, but it's gross. I shouldn't be surprised as that's typical of him.

Jason Lee and Jeremy London play guys trying to get back their girlfriends after they've been dumped. They head on out to the mall to watch one girl be in TV dating contest her father runs.

As with most of Smith's films, I suppose this would appeal to teen boys. Sadly, the library doesn't have a copy of the only film of his I do like. Look for Dogma in stores. If you have a copy you wish to donate, leave me a comment and I'll get it to the library.

Library: Bandon.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113749/

Amazon: Mallrats (Collector's Edition)

No comments: