Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Jim Carrey and Dr. Seuss Soso Films


I have no attachment to this story as I didn't read the book as a child. I found it scary and dull. I've not always found the comedy stylings of Jim Carrey or Steve Carell particularly entertaining either. I like them sometimes, but a little goes a long LONG way.

Elephant Horton hears voices on a speck on a tiny flower. Nobody believes him but he's determined to chase down the flower and save the people on it.

Listen for mean ole Kangaroo voiced by Carol Burnett. The character scared me with her mean gripes. Too many lessons to keep straight. Should we pay close attention to our children? Or listen to our friends when they tell us something? What's the moral?

Look in Bandon, Coos Bay, Coquille, Myrtle Point and North Bend for the DVD.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451079/

Amazon: Horton Hears a Who (Widescreen and Full-Screen Single-Disc Edition)


I liked the back story of the Grinch but like Horton Hears a Who, too much scary.for my taste. Also, I didn't like the over cartoonized hair, houses and cars. If you're going to make a cartoon, make a cartoon. Why go to all that trouble to build those funky sets.

A bitter old green creatures lives up in a mountain with his um dog, we'll call it a dog. He scares the townsfolk below. In this version, we see a story of why the Grinch might be so grinchy, but it isn't enough to save this convoluted live action version.

Really, I like the Chuck Jones cartoon from the 70s. If you want a story for the kiddies, get that one.

Jim Carrey version in VHS and DVD in both Bandon and Coos Bay. Look for another DVD copy in Lakeside. Chuck Jones version on DVD in Bandon and North Bend with various copies around the system on VHS.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170016/

Amazon: Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Deluxe Edition)

No comments: