Monday, September 22, 2008

Movie Review: A Day at the Races


The Marx Brothers crack me up. Even though I have trouble seeing a lot of visual comedy, their silly antics are easy to sort out. Groucho Marx gets top billing as a horse doctor hired in to help save a sanitarium next door to a racetrack.

Though really who watches a movie like this for the plot? Chico Marx shows off his voice antics contrasted with Harpo Marx doing all his silent antics. Margaret Dumont props up the whole silly mess with her straight woman routine.

Right in the middle of it all, there are two song and dance numbers. My favorite involves a bunch of black swing music singers and dancers. Our heroes try to hide from the mean ole track owner among the group. While I'm not sure about the black face routine the Marx Brothers do, the song and dance going on around them really jazzed up the film.

Grab your funny bone and heat out to Myrtle Point and North Bend for the DVD. If VHS is alls ya got, North Bend has a copy of this gem on tape too.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028772/

Grab this DVD from Amazon:
A Day at the Races

p.s. I so needed my break. Thanks for indulging me. I'd sure like to have a comment or two now and then. Just let me know what's on your mind.

No comments: