Monday, July 13, 2009

Gem Review: Eragon


I always have a look at IMDB before I write a review. I'm looking for tidbits to add that might spark an idea or something I didn't realize. I found out many MANY fans of the novel were so disappointed they dropped the rating pretty low.

I went back and forth between calling this a good or gem. I chose gem because like a film a few months back, Stardust, it held my interest all the way through.

I LOVE science fiction but sword and sorcery runs a close second. We come upon the story of a kingdom where dragons and their riders used to be every day occurrences. But a power grabbing rider killed his fellow dragon riders and began ruling with an iron fist.

A farm boy finds a dragon's egg and it hatches into a blue dragon. He has to grow up fast as the evil king sends out his sorcerer to kill the boy and his dragon.

He hooks up with a strange fellow on town, Jeremy Irons, who helps him find the people who resist the king and hope to bring goodness back to the land.

It sure did seem like pieces were left out and from what I read, that's likely the case. I understand that a director has only so much he can do. If you're a fan of the novels, most likely you wont like the film. Lots of computer graphics effects of flying dragons and magic incantations.

I found it charming and mostly family friendly. It wouldn't appeal to young children, but if you let them see Harry Potter, they can see this too.

Look in Bandon, Coos Bay, Coquille, Dora, North Bend and Powers for the DVD.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449010/

Buy it on Amazon: Eragon (Widescreen Edition)

No comments: