Monday, December 8, 2008

Movie Review: 16 Blocks


I am ashamed to admit I ignored this film a few times when going over the list at the library. I read the synopsis and it looked dumb. Then I thought, hey, this is my job, watch most of the library films and review them.

Wow, I should go against my own instincts cuz I really liked this one. Bruce Willis plays a burned out cop asked to transport a guy to a courthouse to testify in some proceeding. Mos Def plays the witness prisoner who turns out to be quite a character. On the way, burn out cop stops at a bar to get himself a drink. A bunch of his cop buddies show up and try and kill the prisoner.

Murry tells me this is a remake of a Clint Eastwood film called the Gauntlet, but I've never seen it. Though the theme reads similar, this movie takes a slightly different turn. It could come off like Die Hard, but doesn't. The kind of cop Willis is has more to do with being a lazy bad man, but somehow he turns that around over the course of the hours he tries to deliver the prisoner to the courthouse.

Maybe if they'd showed the reasons for this transformation, it woulda rose to a Gem. I think it just showed his innate stubbornness. He was told to do a job, he was gonna do THAT job. I believed the acting and that made it fun to watch.

Dora and Myrtle Point have this good DVD. There's also a copy at ESO for home library patrons.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450232/

Buy this good film from Amazon:
16 Blocks (Widescreen Edition)

No comments: