Thursday, August 28, 2008

Movie Review: Contact


I'm a sucker for science fiction and I like most of the spacey aspects of this film, but it's quite a ways from being my favorite. A young woman searches for life on other planets through analysis of radio telescope data. Finding life from out in space is like finding one particular grain of sand from a million beaches, billions of miles away. But this group of scientists starts getting data from an alien civilization with instructions to build a machine to travel to meet them.

First, I can't get past the unlikely aspects that first an older man then a young woman would be even considered the first people to take a trip of this magnitude. Second, the scientist don't go on the trips. They go AFTER, long after, the programs are safe enough for them to go. They would send a young male.

Jodie Foster plays the lead Ellie, rather sappy and emotional yet tries to pretend she's all scientific. Matthew McConaughey charms in his typical style, neither adding or taking away much. I liked David Morse as her dad.

I think I could do without all the early experiences of how hard ti was for her to get funding for her project, it's boring and doesn't matter. After the trip it kind of gets all God V. Science and I just lost my sense of disbelief.

I like the trip itself though and the science guys who help her find the life elsewhere. So head on in to Bandon and Myrtle Point for the DVD and Dora, North Bend, Coos Bay, Powers, Lakeside and Bandon for the VHS tapes.

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118884/

Buy the DVD from Amazon:
Contact

No comments: